Carmichael’s supports a diverse literary
culture in Louisville and is happy to provide
a retail outlet for sales of books by
local authors published through nontraditional
publishing sources. If your book is
self-published, published by a company
that Carmichael’s does not already do business
with, or is available only on a nonreturnable
basis, we will work directly with
you to sell your book on consignment.
This page explains how Carmichael's consignment
Our consignment program is an agreement between
you, the author, and Carmichael’s, the bookseller, to
offer your book for sale in our stores. By leaving your
books with us, you agree to abide by the guidelines laid
out in this brochure and to follow up with us within six
months to review the status of your book.
Our consignment manager is Mark. He can be
reached at our Frankfort Avenue store at (502)896-6950
or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact to make an appointment to bring your books
to the store and read the details in this brochure so you
understand our policy. Mark will fill out a consignment
agreement and give you a copy for your records.
If you leave your book with us on consignment,
• Place your book on our shelves for sale at both
stores in the section you indicate.
• Track sales of your book using our inventory system.
• Call you when we need more copies.
• Issue a check after we’ve sold at least 5 copies or
at the end of the consignment period.
• Remove your books from sale after one year unless
it continues to sell well.
It is your responsibility to follow up with us. We will
not contact you for any reason other than to replenish
If you would like Carmichael’s to carry your book
on consignment, you must agree to:
Set a reasonable retail price for your book.
• Pay Carmichael’s a $5.00 handling fee.
• Divide the retail price according to standard
publishing industry terms. If you are not
familiar with these, please ask us.
• Offer your books at the same retail price to all
outlets, especially those in Louisville.
• Advise us which section of our store best suits
• Send your friends and family to Carmichael’s to
buy your book.
• Include the fact that your book is available at
Carmichael’s in any and all of your marketing and
• Add on your website, if you have one, a link to our
website (carmichaelsbookstore.com) and a link to
• Leave between 5 and 10 copies with us.
• Check on the status of your book within six
months of leaving it. We cannot be responsible for
books left for longer than six months without a
status check from you.
• Pick up any unsold books within one year.
Tips for Marketing Your Book :
Contact local media and use mailing lists,
blogs, Facebook and Twitter to let people
know you have published a book and that
it is available at Carmichael’s.
Send out press releases, review copies and
other promotional materials to local media
and any other groups with which you
have an affiliation.
Take responsibility for marketing your
book by creating promotional materials
that describe your personal story, the story
behind your book, and other relevant and
engaging information and circulate them
widely and often.
Buy and read one or more of the following books:
• Publicize Your Book! by Jacqueline
• The Savvy Author’s Guide to Book
Publicity by Lissa Warren
• Author 101: Bestselling Book Publicity
by Rick Frishman
• The Essential Guide to Getting Your
Book Published by Arielle Eckstut