Whether you're zip-lining through cloud forests or swimming with manta rays, uncover the real pura vida with Moon Costa Rica. Inside you'll find:
- Flexible, strategic itineraries for La Fortuna, Monteverde, San José, the Osa Peninsula, the Caribbean and Pacific coasts, and more, with suggestions for families, backpackers, couples, adventure travelers, and beach lovers
- Eco-friendly outdoor adventures like kayaking, hiking, and scuba-diving: Swim under a waterfall, raft over rapids, explore mysterious caves, and cliff-dive into river pools. Hike to the summit of Mount Chirripó, snorkel with sea turtles in warm turquoise water, or soak in a volcanic mineral pool
- Unique and authentic experiences: Admire the forest floor from a hanging bridge, or take an aerial tram to lake, volcano, and ocean views. Relax on a pristine beach and watch the sunrise with a cup of flavorful local coffee. Fill up on fried plantains and shop at a neighborhood mercado
- Insight from Cartago local Nikki Solano on how to experience Costa Rica like an insider, support local and sustainable businesses, avoid crowds, and respectfully engage with the culture
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Background information on Costa Rica's landscape, history, and cultural customs, as well as volunteer opportunities
- Handy tools including a Spanish phrasebook, packing suggestions, and travel tips for disability access, solo travelers, seniors, and LGBTQ travelers
With Moon's practical tips and local know-how, you can experience Costa Rica your way.
Planning a short trip? Check out Moon Best of Costa Rica.
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
About the Author
Nikki Solano is the CEO of Pura Vida! eh? Inc. and the author of the guidebooks Moon Costa Rica and Moon Best of Costa Rica. Together with her Costa Rican husband, Ricky, she operates the Costa Rica Travel Blog, created the online community DIY Costa Rica, built the Costa Rica Destination Tool, oversees the Costa Rica Travel Shop, and designed the Costa Rica Trip Planning 101 E-Course. Nikki also wrote the cover feature for Wanderlust Magazine's sustainability-focused Travel Green List issue, showcased the country’s destinations and experiences on Rick Steves' Monday Night Travel show and podcast/radio show, and served as the Costa Rica Destination Editor for Essentialist, a luxury travel brand.
"Moon handbooks are always a pleasure to read. The writing is crisp, the research impressive, and the recommendations practical and down to earth."—Chicago Tribune
“The books are more easily readable than other guides. The main attractions are also marked with a special icon and sidebars and boxes highlight special information, making the Moon handbooks one of the most user-friendly guides in terms of visual appeal and organization…the quality is uniformly excellent."—Transitions Abroad
"Far from narrow minded, each Moon travel guide gives itinerary options for a variety of travelers’ budgets—from frugal to lavish. They make books catering to those who love the outdoors, those who have limited time, those staying exclusively in cities and those who’ve fully committed to living abroad. In all, they have hundreds of titles, ranging Bermuda to Budapest, that’ll teach you to embrace a new culture."—Gear Patrol, “The Best Travel Guidebooks for Every Journey”
"Moon handbooks have become known as well-written and exceptionally informative guides."—The New York Times
"Moon guides are perfect for the relaxed road tripper or outdoor explorer."—No Small Plan
"Moon handbooks are known for cannily combining logistical information with cultural background of a country or state."—Los Angeles Times