The book is not currently in stock at our stores. Please call us for price and availability.
Other Books in Series
This is book number 2 in the Backyard Farming series.
- #1: Backyard Farming: Raising Chickens: From Building Coops to Collecting Eggs and More (Paperback): $7.95
- #3: Backyard Farming: Keeping Honey Bees: From Hive Management to Honey Harvesting and More (Paperback): $7.95
- #4: Backyard Farming: Home Harvesting: Canning and Curing, Pickling and Preserving Vegetables, Fruits and Meats (Paperback): $7.95
- #5: Backyard Farming: Raising Goats: For Dairy and Meat (Paperback): $7.95
- #6: Backyard Farming: Raising Cattle for Dairy and Beef (Paperback): $7.95
- #7: Backyard Farming: Growing Garlic: The Complete Guide to Planting, Growing, and Harvesting Garlic. (Paperback): $7.95
- #8: Backyard Farming: Canning & Preserving: Over 75 Recipes for the Homestead Kitchen (Paperback): $7.95
- #9: Backyard Farming: Homesteading: The Complete Guide to Self-Sufficiency (Paperback): $7.95
- #10: Backyard Farming: Fruit Trees, Berries & Nuts (Paperback): $7.95
- #11: Backyard Farming: Composting: How to Plan, Build, and Maintain Your Own Compost System for a Healthy and Vibrant Garden (Paperback): $7.95
- #12: Backyard Farming: Raising Pigs (Paperback): $7.95
Your Backyard Farming Experience Begins Here!
A bountiful vegetable garden is a mainstay of the backyard farm; when done right, it can form the foundation for all your future farming successes. Whether you’re aiming at self-sufficiency or just looking to add the freshest ingredients possible to your own kitchen table, starting your own backyard vegetable garden is the best possible first step.
Backyard Farming: Growing Vegetables & Herbs is your guide to ensuring that your first garden is a success. Intended to serve as a comprehensive primer for first-time gardeners, detailed illustrations and informative photographs help to eliminate confusion and ease new homesteaders into the world of backyard farming.
Growing Vegetables & Herbs takes you from start to finish: from planning out your garden, to planting and nurturing, to enjoying your first home harvest.
Growing Vegetables & Herbs shows you:
• How to design the best gardening layout for your space
• The ins and outs of weeding, watering, and pest control to keep your garden fresh and healthy
• Ways to organize your plantings to take advantage of natural complements
• The equipment you will need to make your garden a success
• How to harvest your vegetables and prepare your garden for the coming winter
…and many more tips and tricks from experienced growers to help you avoid the most common mistakes.
Join the growing movement of homemakers and homesteaders looking to make a return to a healthier, happier way of life—right in your own backyard. Growing Vegetables & Herbs will show you how.
Backyard Farming is a series of easy-to-use guides to help urban, suburban, and rural dwellers turn their homes into homesteads. Whether planning to grow food for the family or for sale at the local farmers market, Backyard Farming provides simple instruction and essential information in a convenient reference.
About the Author
Kim Pezza grew up among orchards and dairy and beef farms having lived most of her life in the Finger Lakes region. She has raised pigs, poultry and game birds, rabbits and goats, and is experienced in growing herbs and vegetables. In her spare time, Kim also teaches workshops in a variety of areas, from art and simple computers for seniors, to making herb butter, oils, and vinegars. She continues to learn new techniques and skills and is currently looking to turn her grandparents' 1800s farm into a small, working homestead.