This book cannot be returned.
"This book is a thorough and relevant first step for health professionals to learn about mental health disorders among children and adolescents, from diagnosis to treatment to resources and prevention."
-Richard H. Carmona, MD, MPH, FACS
17th Surgeon General of the United States
(From the Foreword)
Updated with new research findings and best evidence-based practices, the third edition of this quick-access guide aids practitioners in preventing, screening, diagnosing, and managing children and adolescents who present with mental health symptoms and disorders. This new edition describes key changes in the field with an emphasis on trauma and stressor-related disorders, cognitive behavioral therapy/skills building, suicidal and self-harming behaviors, substance abuse disorders, prescribing antidepressants to youth, and promoting mental health in schools. New and updated screening tools, instruments, and interventions add to the therapeutic arsenal, along with diagnostic criteria, case studies, and risk factors. In addition, this guide delivers new information on care for the caregiver and new technologies to enhance life balance.
The third edition continues to deliver the essential "nuts and bolts" of evidence-based content in a practical and user-friendly format. Grounded in DSM-V criteria and diagnoses, with a holistic view of the patient, this guide contains a wealth of resources, including screening tools, parent/patient handouts, and other resources to educate families about mental health disorders and ways to foster patient wellness.
New to the Third Edition:
- Describes new evidence-based programs to enhance mental health and well-being
- Presents updated educational materials for families and caregivers
- Featured chapters:
- Evidence-based Assessment and Management of Trauma and Stressor Related Disorders
- Evidence-based Assessment and Management of Adverse Childhood Experiences
- Evidence-based Assessment and Management of Substance Abuse and Addiction Spectrum
- Evidence-based Assessment and Management of Anxiety Disorders
- Evidence-based Assessment and Management of Depressive Disorders
- Promoting Mental Health in Schools
- Self-Care for Clinicians Who Care for Children and Adolescents with Mental Health Problems
- Provides a tool kit for healthcare professionals to enhance care and improve outcomes
- Contains a variety of valid and reliable screening tools for mental health disorders in children and teens
- Addresses concise, evidence-based assessment and management guidelines
- Includes downloadable access to patient education handouts, resources, and a variety of other resources for children, teens, and parents