Here is a book that will answer (almost) all of a beginning and experienced bicyclist's questions about how to get the most out of the activity, while protecting yourself and saving money where possible.
First there is professional advice on helmets and techniques for safe cycling: lights, reflective clothing, and bells, with 10 tips for safe cycling.
Then the bikes:
- How to choose the right bike for your body and level of fitness. Is it for fun, commuting or long excursions?
- Anatomy of the bike: wheels, saddle, pedals... and what size bike is right?
- All the right clothing, from shoes and comfortable shorts to panniers
- Anti-theft devices -- which locks are best?
- Home trainers and exercise bikes.
Maintenance is the core of the book:
- What are your essential tools?
- Keeping the bike (including the chain) clean and lubricated
- Essential adjustments: cleats, gears, brake shoes, V brakes, and hydraulic brakes, chain tension.
- Replacing a tube or tubeless tire
- Replacing the chain, cassette, freewheel, brake shoes and pads
- Taking off a tire and changing an inner tube
- Applying a patch or tire plug
- Replacing a derailleur, broken chain link or spoke
- And much more.
Fully illustrated in full color, this is the bike book every rider needs to get started -- and keep going
About the Author
Laurent Belando and Louise Roussel are the authors of Practical Cycling.