Read and find out about people and animals use different kinds of sounds to communicate in this colorfully illustrated nonfiction picture book.
Sounds are all around us. Clap your hands, snap your fingers: You’re making sounds. With colorful illustrations from Anna Chernyshova and engaging text from Wendy Pfeffer, Sounds All Around is a fascinating look into how sound works.
This is a clear and appealing science book for early elementary age kids, both at home and in the classroom. It includes a find out more section with additional and updated experiments, such as finding out how sound travels through water. Both the text and the artwork were vetted by Dr. Agnieszka Roginska, Professor of Music Technology at NYU.
This is a Level 1 Let's-Read-and-Find-Out, which means the book explores introductory concepts perfect for children in the primary grades. The 100+ titles in this leading nonfiction series are:
- hands-on and visual
- acclaimed and trusted
- great for classrooms
Top 10 reasons to love LRFOs:
- Entertain and educate at the same time
- Have appealing, child-centered topics
- Developmentally appropriate for emerging readers
- Focused; answering questions instead of using survey approach
- Employ engaging picture book quality illustrations
- Use simple charts and graphics to improve visual literacy skills
- Feature hands-on activities to engage young scientists
- Meet national science education standards
- Written/illustrated by award-winning authors/illustrators & vetted by an expert in the field
- Over 130 titles in print, meeting a wide range of kids' scientific interests
Books in this series support the Common Core Learning Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, and the Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) standards. Let's-Read-and-Find-Out is the winner of the American Association for the Advancement of Science/Subaru Science Books & Films Prize for Outstanding Science Series.
About the Author
Wendy Pfeffer enjoyed early careers as a teacher and a nursery school director. She now devotes her time to writing and conducting workshops on creative writing for both adults and children. She is the author of the Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science book Sounds All Around as well as The Gooney War and Popcorn Park Zoo. Ms. Pfeffer lives in Pennington, New Jersey.
Anna Chernyshova is the illustrator of the Let’s-Read-and-Find-Out Science book Sounds All Around. She graduated from the Cambridge School of Art’s MA program in children’s book illustration in 2015. She currently lives in Cambridge, England, with her family and their dog. Anna’s daughter constantly inspires new illustrations with her antics.